The S. Elia district and the medieval church
Part of the actual farmhouse existed since 1568 in the honorable Francesco Angelino lands. He already owned 35 hectares in the district anciently called S. Elia. In this lands there was even a church of great worship according to historians. In 1690 the Franciscan friars bought the property for 271 ducats and 60 grain. So they began to take care of the lands , the church and the old body of the building. After few years, in 1718, the friars ceded the property to Donato Angelini,
in exchange for his lands. In 1727 the old church was torn down to build a new one in the farmhouse square. In his will Donato Angelini handed the property to friars again. They took care of it until the suppression ordered in 1809 by the King of Naples Gioacchino Murat. The property then was ceded to Locorotondo’s land private owners. The name S. Elia seems to derive precisely from the medieval church.